Electro are a range of unique anodised look finishes, designed to subtly change in appearance as light conditions alter in the day, delivered with warranty grade advanced super durable polyester thermosetting powder.
It is ideal for use:
Electro is NOT suitable in strongly acidic environments so PH must be >5.
Please refer to the ‘interior and exterior environments close to liquids other than the sea’ section for warranty implications for in such environments.
* Only Dulux Accredited Powder Coaters are able to issue our Dulux Alumi Shield and Steel Shield warranties after demonstrating their capability to meet stringent quality conditions and international standards.
Developed primarily for exterior and interior use on extruded aluminium: window and door system, louvres, balustrades, sunshades, perforated screen, curtain walls, shop fronts, furniture and shelving.
Ideal for use over:
Electro can also be used on the following metals but these are not warranted:
Super durable polyester thermosetting powder
Interior and exterior use
The pre-treatment process must be capable of meeting the performance outputs as described in AS3715 and AAMA-2604.
Compliance to appropriate process parameters is essential in ensuring compliance to etch, conversion coating weights (time/concentration) and conductivity of the final rinse.
The etch process is a very important stage of pre-treatment and close consultation with your pre-treatment supplier is strongly recommended to ensure optimum adhesion & corrosion resistance is obtained. As an approximate guide:
This is the next pre-treatment process for aluminium to ensure that it is suitably prepared for coating. It is recommended that Chrome conversion weights shall be a minimum of 431mg/m2, but advice from pre-treatment suppliers should be taken into consideration.
Final rinse is to ensure optimum surface preparation prior to coating.
Care should be taken with handling to ensure health and safety measures are met and that the substrate is not contaminated.
Dry Off Oven (if applicable)
If your site uses a dry off oven to assist in the pre-treatment process please ensure:
The pre-treatment process must be capable of meeting the performance outputs as described in AS3715 and AAMA-2604
Steel substrates shall be prepared as follows:
1. Wash and degrease all surfaces to be coated in accordance with AS1627.1 with a free-rinsing, alkaline detergent, in strict accordance with the manufacturer’s written instructions and all safety warnings.
2. Wash with fresh potable water and ensure that all soluble salts are removed in accordance with AS 3894.6 methods A&D.
3. Grind all sharp edges with a power tool to a minimum radius of 2mm.
4. Power tool clean welds to AS1627.2 Class 2 to remove roughness. Remove filings, preferably by vacuum or compressed air.
5. Abrasive blast clean all steel surfaces to be painted in accordance with AS1627.4 to visual standard AS1627.9 Class 2.5 (equivalent to ISO8501-1, Sa 2.5: Very Thorough Blast-Cleaning). Use a medium that will generate a surface profile of 35 to 65 microns (as tested to AS3894.5 Method A.) In situations where it is not possible to prepare your item on all surfaces as described above, for long term protection against corrosion it is strongly recommended whenever possible, that an alternative substrate such as, aluminium be considered.
6. The steel to be stored in an area which is clean and dry
7. The steel must be coated within 4 hours of blasting.
200° for 10 mins minimum
Attention to packing is essential for powder coaters and fabricators to ensure that all powder coated sections are received in good condition.
When packing powder coated assets, it is recommended that:
It is recommended in environments with low salt, low pollutants and in urban areas that cleaning should take place at a minimum of every twelve months. In areas where salts, pollutants and high corrosivity levels are prevalent, e.g. beachfront houses or industrial areas, it is recommended a cleaning program should be carried out more frequently at a minimum of every six months.
Sheltered areas can have a higher risk of coating degradation as wind-blown salt and other debris or pollutants may adhere to the surface and not be removed when it rains. These areas may require more frequent cleaning.
Use the following table to identify the recommended minimum cleaning and maintenance schedule for your project. The table references AS4312 and ISO12944 Atmospheric corrosivity zones in Australia to define the environmental conditions.
Care and maintenance schedules are essential to ensure that the life of your asset is maximised whether the project be a residential, commercial or non-habitabale project. Simply follow 3 important steps:
1. Carefully remove any loose surface deposits with a wet sponge by gently rubbing.
2. Clean by gently rubbing the surface with a soft brush (non-abrasive) and a dilute solution of a mild detergent, e.g. pH-neutral liquid hand or dishwashing detergent in warm water to remove dust, salt and other deposits. For stubborn stains use only recommended solvents on the affected area, e.g. Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) or methylated spirits and rinse off with clean water. Do not use other aggressive solvents.
3. Rinse the surfaces with clean fresh water after cleaning to remove all residues.
Aggressive solvents such as turpentine, white spirits, thinners, citrus based cleaners and other aggressive solvents are harmful to the extended life of the powder coated surface. These solvents should not be used for cleaning purposes and will render a warranty void if used.
If paint splashes, sealants/mastics or stubborn stains need to be removed use only Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) or methylated spirits and rinse off with clean fresh water.
In some cases, strong solvents recommended for thinning various types of paints and also for cleaning up mastics/sealants are harmful to the extended life of the powder coated surface. These solvents should not be used for cleaning purposes and will render the warranty void if used. If paint splashes or sealants/mastics need to be removed then the following solvents can be used safely: Methylated Spirits, Ethyl Alcohol, Isopropanol.
For more information about care and maintenance click here.
The following table can be used to help identify if Electro is suitable for your project.
Use the following table which references AS4312 and ISO12944 Atmospheric corrosivity zones in Australia to define the environmental conditions and product is suitable for.
*Tropical projects – It is recommended to speak to a Dulux Account Manager or call the advice line for all projects in Tropical locations.
The appropriate coating system on steel is largely driven by the corrosive environment of the coated item. This can be determined in accordance with AS4312 Atmospheric corrosivity zones in Australia.
Please refer to the guidance below for:
Our dedicated consultants can help simplify the specification process, saving you time and money by providing the right coating advice for your project.
Call 13 24 99
For a comprehensive overview and specific specification details on aluminium and steel click here.
On pre-treated architectural aluminium when applied by a Dulux Accredited Powder Coater to the warranty specification on recommended project types and conditions.
For more information on our Dulux Alumi Shield warranty program click here.
On mild steel, bright/semi bright steel, black steel and blue steel as part of the Steel Shield warranty system when applied by a Dulux Accredited Powder Coater to the warranty specification on recommended project types and conditions.
For more information on our Dulux Steel Shield warranty program click here.
Only Dulux Accredited Powder Coaters are able to issue our Dulux Alumi Shield and Steel Shield warranties after demonstrating their capability to meet stringent quality conditions and international standards.
For more information click here.
Colours displayed should be used as a guide for your colour selection. Always confirm your colour choice with a production line prepared swatch for final colour approval.
A unique anodised look, designed to subtly change in appearance as light conditions alter in the day, delivered with warranty grade* advanced super durable polyester thermosetting powder.