E-Prime is a epoxy modified thermosetting powder primer that provides protection around sharp profiles and complex shapes such as perforated and expanded aluminium, as well as providing additional corrosion prevention on steel. It is a key component for Dulux Alumi Shield warranties on perforated and expanded aluminium and Steel Shield Warranties in highly corrosive environments.
It’s ideal for use:
E-Prime™ can be used as a primer over a variety of substrates including steel and aluminium but is especially suited to aluminium castings, hot dipped galvanised or other porous metals.
Ideal for warranty grade application over:
E-Prime can also be used on the following metals but these are not warranted:
E-Prime is not suitable for exterior use without a topcoat. It contains an epoxy component which will chalk on exterior exposure.
Modified epoxy based powder primer
Interior and exterior use as a basecoat only
The pre-treatment process must be capable of meeting the performance outputs as described in AS3715 and AAMA-2604
Compliance to appropriate process parameters is essential in ensuring compliance to etch, conversion coating weights (time/concentration) and conductivity of the final rinse.
The etch process is a very important stage of pre-treatment and close consultation with your pre-treatment supplier is strongly recommended to ensure optimum adhesion & corrosion resistance is obtained. As an approximate guide:
This is the next pre-treatment process for aluminium to ensure that it is suitably prepared for coating. It is recommended that Chrome conversion weights shall be a minimum of 431mg/m2, but advice from pre-treatment suppliers should be taken into consideration.
Final rinse is to ensure optimum surface preparation prior to coating.
Care should be taken with handling to ensure health and safety measures are met and that the substrate is not contaminated.
Dry Off Oven (if applicable)
If your site uses a dry off oven to assist in the pre-treatment process please ensure:
Steel substrates shall be prepared as follows:
1. Wash and degrease all surfaces to be coated in accordance with AS1627.1 with a free-rinsing, alkaline detergent, in strict accordance with the manufacturer’s written instructions and all safety warnings.
2. Wash with fresh potable water and ensure that all soluble salts are removed in accordance with AS 3894.6 methods A&D.
3. Grind all sharp edges with a power tool to a minimum radius of 2mm.
4. Power tool clean welds to AS1627.2 Class 2 to remove roughness. Remove filings, preferably by vacuum or compressed air.
5. Abrasive blast clean all steel surfaces to be painted in accordance with AS1627.4 to visual standard AS1627.9 Class 2.5 (equivalent to ISO8501-1, Sa 2.5: Very Thorough Blast-Cleaning). Use a medium that will generate a surface profile of 35 to 65 microns (as tested to AS3894.5 Method A.) In situations where it is not possible to prepare your item on all surfaces as described above, for long term protection against corrosion it is strongly recommended whenever possible, that an alternative substrate such as, aluminium be considered.
6. The steel is to be stored in an area which is clean and dry
7. The steel must be coated within 4 hours of blasting.
210 for 8 mins minimum
200 for 10 mins minimum
190 for 15 mins minimum
When applying subsequent coats partially cure for 3-5 minutes at 120-150°C metal temperature. This partial cure is referred to as a green cure. Refer to the E-Prime Data Sheet for full details.
Dulux recommend a Alumi Shield™ warranty system for both interior and exterior usage on perforated and expanded aluminium. The use of a E-prime powder primer over suitably pretreated architectural grade aluminium is mandatory in conditions of high corrosivity below a recommended top coat. Although not mandatory in other areas, the use of E-prime is also recommended for enhanced corrosion protection on perforated and expanded aluminium.
All Dulux Alumi Shield™ warranties are available when applied by a Dulux Accredited Powder Coater to a approved specification.
Use the following table to help identify the product and system choice you have for the perforated or expanded aluminium on your project. Refer to the conditions information to determine the environment that your project will be exposed to.
E-Prime is a key component of the Dulux Steel Shield™ warranty systems. Use the following table to help identify the product choice you have to gain a Steel Shield™ warranty on your project and where E-Prime is appropriate. Refer to the conditions information to determine the environment that your project will be exposed to.
Use the following table which references AS4312 (atmospheric corrosivity zones in Australia) and AS3715 (Metal Finishing – Thermoset powder coatings for architectural applications of aluminium and aluminium alloys) to define the environmental conditions of your project.
E-Prime suitability for environments close to liquids other than the sea is dependent on the top coat choice.
Please refer to the guidance below for:
Our dedicated consultants can help simplify the specification process, saving you time and money by providing the right coating advice for your project.
Call 13 24 99